I started my morning routine pretty much like every other morning. Got my cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee, made a bagel, put on my slippers and plopped myself down in my comfortable chair to read through the news before having some one one one with G-D. One site I frequent (mostly for my Red Sox News, cause we know God likes to hear prayers concerning the Sox) is Boston.com and one headline caught my attention rather quickly:
Energy benefits of fluorescents may outweigh risk
Frankly, I couldn't get away from the light bulb today. I walked into the grocery store and BOOM there it was. These energy savers conveniently placed right in opening aisle. Even though they are risky, causing the death of children, unborn "fetuses",(although how can there be danger to something that isn't a someone?) and poor old fluffy! But, don't worry! Risk aside, at least you save money and save the planet at the same time! Fluffy must be happy!
I then stumbled upon a "to do list" just in case one of these light bulbs breaks. The story starts like this: "Compact fluorescent lamps contain small amounts of toxic mercury that can vaporize when the bulbs break, creating a potential health risk for infants, young children, and pregnant women." But, let's just say the inevitable happens and Fluffy knocks over the lamp! I mean it happens right? Well, just follow these easy steps to clean up the mess:
Keep people and pets away. Open windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes before beginning the cleanup.
Do not use a vacuum cleaner, even on a carpet. This will spread the mercury vapor and dust and potentially contaminate the vacuum.
Wear rubber gloves.
Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container, preferably a glass jar with a metal screw top lid and seal like a canning jar.
Next, scoop up the smaller pieces and dust using two stiff pieces of paper such as index cards or playing cards.
Pick up fine particles with duct tape, packing tape, or masking tape, and then use a wet wipe or damp paper towel.
Put all waste into the glass container, including all material used in the cleanup. Remove the container from your home and call your local solid waste district or municipality for disposal instructions.
Continue ventilating the room for several hours.
Wash your hands and face.
As a precaution, consider discarding throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women. Otherwise, open windows during the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.
I had to laugh after reading this insanity! I understand wanting to save energy and it makes sense to be more efficient but both of those don't come at the expense of human life! There are all types of dangerous things around the house for sure but many of those items are not going to require HazMat treatment to clean up! And most of them are not in range of kiddies! So when you do get your Nuclear Lightbulbs, just make sure you know what you are doing! Cause you can't trust anyone else to warn you!