Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Do I choose to be a Calvinist?


This summer I have been really delving into a lot of Reformed writings/teachings and the more I do it the more I find I am surprised no one ever presented these views like this. If they had been I might have not been so against Calvinism. At least in the strictest sense of the word anyway?

I am not sure exactly where I stand on a lot of the issues but I heard a podcast today that showed me how I may not fall in line with Calvinism on salvation (at least not yet) but I'm an excellent Calvinist in other areas.

I struggle with the idea of God being the grand "puppet master" and my choices/will only being the result of His inklings or notions. Then it kind of hit me. I do things, which I lie to myself saying that these things are out of my own will, which in someways control me anyway. Wither it's being angry at something dumb which was said and causes pain. That has control over me. Or if I see a pretty girl and my mind starts to wander. That has control over me. In fact, it seems that when we sin we always make excuses for how deceived or how we lost control and by our own admission we state that it "controlled" us. Maybe having God be the puppet master isn't so bad a thing after all? What is the alternative if He is not?

"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything." 1 Corinthians 6:12

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro Bell,

I've been spending a lot of time this summer thinking about this too.

What podcast did you listen to? What books have you been reading?

revintraining said...

That book cover is hilarious.

Jessica said...

I think it is a divine mystery/paradox that God is sovereign and in control of all things and YET man still has a responsibility to believe and repent and will be condemned if he doesn't.

All those emergents that relish 'mystery' should look into Calvinism... but I don't think looking into Calvinism is always a comfortable mystery--it's more of a, "Whoa, gee, God's a little bit scary there."

I like Calvinism & reformed theology mainly for the fact that it emphasizes God's sovereign, ultimate rule over all things. Scary stuff but SOOOOO comforting, awe-inspiring, and humbling when you're saved!!

I think it's unfortunate there's such a bias against it in some circles but I think it's just b/c have the wrong ideas about what it is.

"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." Matthew 7:13-14